Season 3, Episode 3 — Saul Griffith: Otherlab, Engineering for Good & the Future of Private Research Labs
Plus Ashley Swartz discusses engineering soft robots at Roam Robotics
In this third episode of The Edge podcast, we sit down with engineer, inventor, and founder of Otherlab Saul Griffith to learn more about the research and ethos driving this independent, San Francisco-based R&D lab. Otherlab is home to a number of interesting initiatives and startups like Kestrel Materials, which we learned about in episode one of this season. It’s also where Bantam Tools—formerly Other Machine Co—got its start!
- Otherlab is currently focused on building transformational technologies that bring us closer to 100% decarbonization.
- Saul Griffith on Medium
- Otherlab developed an interactive Super Sankey diagram to communicate the complexity of our national energy dilemma to a “busy person.”
- In our interview, Saul regularly said “...wouldn’t it be cool if?”
- Roam Robotics enhances human capabilities with soft robotics.
- A soft robot handing Saul a beer
ABOUT SAUL GRIFFITH
Saul Griffith is the founder and Chief Scientist at Otherlab. He was also previously the co-founder of Squid Labs, along with its spinout companies and projects Makani Power, Instructables, Wattzon, Howtoons, OptiOpia, Potenco, and MonkeyLectric. Saul is a McArthur “Genius Award” winner and has been described as “a prodigy of invention in service of the world community.”